1938 Ford Pickup
I purchased my 1938 Ford PU in June. It was a restoration project that had already been started by a man who had passed away. My intention is to restore rather than rod this truck. I will be installing a 1939 braking system as it was the first year Ford went to hydraulic brakes. Lots of work ahaed with a full frame off.
If you want some great info on the 38 pickup check out
The 1938 Ford Pickup Truck Project Page
July 18, 2001:
We have the bare frame painted up after blasting and some repair. It looks good and I'm anxious to start bolting on the suspension and drivetrain.
August 22, 2001:
It's been a month since the last update and things are going a little slower that I had hoped. The engine, transmission and running gear is fixed, painted and installed. I think it's looking pretty good. Most of the steering is done but we have to wait for a steering box rebuild kit to finish it up. One of the holdups we have now is the shocks. They are expensive and I'm not done shopping for them yet!
Next up is emergency brakes, brake pedal, clutch pedal, and fire the engine.
March 27, 2002:
We've spent most of the winter working on the Corvette. That's pretty much ready for summer cuising so we're back working on the Pickup. I decided to switch over to getting some bodywork done while it's still cold out. Working on the small items like the fenders, hood, and other front end stuff. Here you see the front fenders getting preped for paint:
April 1, 2002:
Been working on the grill. I've looked for almost a year for a really nice one. There are no nice 38 truck grills left in the world. They are all damaged in some way. Luckily, I was able to make a really nice grill and shell from three original donor grills!
November 11, 2002:
Whoa! I'm finally done with the metal work on the cab. Now it's on to the bodywork.
December 31, 2002:
The project is coming along nicely. The cab is painted and mounted. The doors are fitted. I'm working on the interior and glass installation now.
January 26, 2003:
Lots of work completed in the last month. The glass install, exhaust system, brakes and emergency brakes are all complete. I also went down to Sterling Heights Michigan to get the new bed from Northern Classic Trucks. The people there are friendly and honest so if you need a bed you know where to go. The bed is now complete and ready to install as soon as I can get some people to help. The new bed was very nice. I did prime and sand it once just to make sure it was straight before I painted it. It was.
February 19, 2003:
Been plugging away since the last update. Mounted the bed and tailgate. Painted and mounted the rear fenders. Installed the exhaust system. Did the striping on the cab. Installed the interior. The truck is basically done from the cowl rearward. Of course there are some small details and wiring but it's looking alot more complete now.
The next step is firing the engine. I'm having some problems making it run mainly due to my unfamiliarity with the ignition system. I'm sure it will be a learning experience that is well worth it.
March 18, 2003:
With some help I was able to get the engine fired. The distributor and engine set up was correct but we were unable to get the engine to turn over fast enough to fire. So we pulled and it fired right up. Starts every time now on it's own.
Painted the front fenders and grill. Installed most of the front end and running boards.
It's coming along nicely! Next is fitting the hood, hood sides, and headlights.
July 18, 2003:
The car is officially done!
We finished up by adding the headlights, hood ornament, hood striping, and fender brackets.
THANKS FOR VISITING!